Sunday, August 8, 2010

Update...

So, I haven't really been updating this much because not much is going on in my life right now. I've been dealing with migraine almost daily now and that doesn't mesh with getting on the computer. Light is bad!

The rest of my pain has been worse, too. It's really making my life suck more than it normally does.

Yesterday, I finally felt good enough to head to Borders to pick up a few books to keep me entertained when I don't have a migraine. I also decided that I need some more clothes. I've been joking that I need to get some mumus since I rarely leave the house anymore.

While browsing Borders, I kept noticing the same guy over and over. I didn't think anything of it. We ended up in the sci-fi aisle together and he says, "Um, hi...you look interesting. What do you think I should get?" I was thinking "if he thinks jeans, Pirates shirt & ratty Converse are interesting, he might not get out much." I asked what he usually goes for and he seemed clueless. Maybe he's never struck up a conversation in the book store, so I recommended a few things & continued my browsing. I picked up 2 books & a few cheap DVDs and headed to pay. He gets in line behind me and awkwardly tries to strike up a conversation again by showing me his selections, two of which I had recommended. When it's my turn to pay, he asks me not to leave after I'm done. When he finished, he asked if I'd like to get some coffee. Sure...I had nothing better to do and he seemed OK.

While he was paying for the coffee, I sat down and pulled up my preset message "hey, call me with a fake emergency." I also have one for when were out and I can't get away from an overly persistant suitor, "SOS, HELP!!!" I've found it's easier to have them pre-set so I can send for help faster.

I didn't need it. He started to relax after chatting for a bit. It was pretty obvivous that he's not used to walking up to people to strike up conversation. We chatted for just over an hour and I realized that I should be getting home. We exchanged phone numbers and IM info and I headed out. It turns out he works with my cousin's husband at Carnegie Mellon, so on the way home, I called her to see if he was an OK guy. She confirmed that he was, just really, really shy.

Dad and I sat down to watch the game and after, I got a text from Borders guy inviting me to Sunday's Pirates game. I accepted and we agreed to meet at PNC.

One thing I really appreciated was the agreeing to meet me at a neutral location. I've had bad situations in the past and I don't like being "trapped" at the mercy of someone else. Until I get to know someone, I prefer to meet them somewhere.

The game was frustrating...a few bad calls and we lost. We had good seats though. It was fun. He seemed to relax even more while we were there. We're going to meet up sometime during the week, depending on how I'm feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment