Saturday, April 24, 2010

Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter


Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter by A. E. Moorat


I wasn’t so sure about this book when I picked it up. Since PPZ & S&S&SM came out, there have been numerous other titles jumping on the bandwagon. I found it for $2 and snatched it up.

One thing to think about when reading this is the author was able to take more liberties with the story than with the PPZ. It is a fictitious “what if” story. Don’t go in expecting classic writing with zombies or sea monsters carefully woven in. The writing style is modern. There are a few instances where foul language was inserted, which makes me wonder why they felt the need to use it at all. I don’t get offended by that sort of thing, but it could have been left out and no one would be the wiser. In one instance, I could see what he was going for, but it still seemed out of place.

I did enjoy this book quite a bit. It was fun and a quick read. It was perfect to bring to work and read on a lunch break and I found myself getting sucked in and kept reading until I had exceeded my lunch hour. Ooops!

I did have my doubts when I read the first few chapters. One of the main characters, Quimby, is bringing people together for an orgy and is discussing the new process of photography with someone who has come to show him the new process. They are interrupted by zombies that begin feasting on the prostitutes and Quimby’s servant, Perkins. The photographer takes a picture of the grisly scene and later attempts to blackmail Quimby, who has resurrected Perkins with a potion so he may resume serving him. Perkins complains of being hungry after his resurrection and is allowed to eat Quimby’s dog.

This is what put me off a bit. I did not want to read about the escapades of a pervert. I'm also a dog lover and don't even like fictional harm to come to fictional dogs.

The story then goes to introduce Maggie Brown (Protektorate of the Queen), Victoria, her mother, Conroy (her mothers partner) & the Prime Minister. The King dies and Victoria becomes the Queen. Maggie rushes to her to protect her from demonic forces. The two battle a succubus in Victoria’s room and the two are introduced. The fight scene allows them to give a glimpse of Victoria’s fighting instinct that she will use later in the book. Maggie addresses Victoria as “Your majesty” and this is how Victoria discovers she is Queen.

The chapters alternate between the various characters’ storylines. There seems to be quite a few characters, but they do serve a purpose & it comes together toward the end.

I was expecting more demon hunting action on the part of Queen Victoria, but she only engages in battling demons for one reason. I won't give it away. The demons are plotting to take over England.

There is a bit of gore in the book, so if you are squeamish, you might want to take a pass on this one. The concern I had in regards to Quimby ended up being unfounded. He is smarmy and will occationally mention a past conquest, but it is not detailed.

I don't want to give away too much of the story line. I do recommend this if you enjoyed Pride & Prejudice & Zombies & Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters. It's a fast and fun read and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Wira,

    I'm really pleased that you enjoyed the book (though I do apologise for all the bad language) and thank you very much for your kind review. It's a great compliment that I made you go over your lunch hour!

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete