Sunday, February 28, 2010

You're not really helping.

I was going to go home this weekend, but they got hit with more snow last week and I didn't want to deal with the mess. I decided to go shopping here instead. I found a cute rain jacket and umbrella at Old Navy:

I went to get some food nearby so I could eat while watching the USA vs Canada hockey game. The guy behind me in line decided to be "helpful". I wear a TENS unit when I go out because my back will hurt to the extent I have a hard time getting around. It's small and connects with sticky pads and the unit fits in my pocket. The guy behind me sees wires hanging out and yanks one. It ripped a wire off of the pad and shocked me, so I yelped because I was suprised and it hurt. The guy, sheepishly says "you had something sticking off of your butt."

I was livid. I don't have a replacement pad and the wires had been ripped out. I debated calling the police. I told him it was a medical device and he'd just broken it and he shouldn't be touching my dupa. Who the hell does that? How about just telling me I had something hanging there? I really wanted to call the police because I was so mad, I wanted him to be punished for not keeping his hands to himself, zapping me and breaking the electrode. He just stood there, not knowing what to do. "So it's broken?" Yes you moron, I have to order new ones. "Why can't you just go to CVS and get a new one?" I don't know if they sell them here because I'm not from here! The girl at the register started to get really uncomfortable and called her manager over. She probably thought I was going to kill him.

After several minutes of me yelling at him, it finally clicked that he should offer to pay me for it. Fine, dealing with the police would have been more trouble that it was worth. He gave me $20, which was more than they cost, but it covered my food, too. When I got home, I discovered I'd been given a free pie. Odd, I never mentioned anything to the employees...it wasn't their fault in the least. It could have just been an accident.

I ended up missing a few minutes of the game and my food got cold while I tried to figure out if I could somehow get the electrode pad fixed. I'm still angry, but I got cash to cover it and I'll hopefully never see that moron again.

Incidents like this make me want to never leave my house again. A few months ago I was smacked on the dupa while bending over to grab a bag to put in the overhead of the plane. He got kicked off of the flight. For some unknown reason, people feel that it is OK to touch me. It's not. I'm glad I cannot get pregnant because I'm sure it would be worse.

Once I calmed down and gave up on trying to repair the broken electrode, I realized I had forgotten to stop and get yarn. I found a few crochet patterns online that I wanted to try. One requires orange yarn. I have every other color, but no orange! I'll get some Tuesday when I go pick up my copy of Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter from the local Borders. I have a gift card, yay! I have some other books to read, but since it comes out on Tuesday, it will be on sale. They are calling for heavy snow here Tuesday night, so I'll have plenty to keep me occupied if they close work.

No comments:

Post a Comment