Thursday, May 6, 2010

Road Trip!

I'm getting bored not being able to work. From what Elle has been telling me, I'm not missing much. I was watching "The Hucksters" and that didn't help me not miss work. The client in that movie is awful, but work would at least help me have something to do. It would be a nice distraction.

I have felt terrible for the last 2 days. The pain has been awful, then you add stomach issues and a migraine and you have a lot of fun. I can't go anywhere because I can't be away that long.

Being stuck in the house makes me want to get out of it even more. I found a neat place that I'd like to go to on a road trip. The Caribbean Motel in NJ. I found the link on a retro lighting website.

Here's the small write up on their site:

First opened to vacationers in 1957 at the height of the Wildwoods' "Doo Wop" heyday, the Caribbean Motel was among the most daring, imaginative structures to be built in the resort during that era of post-World War II optimism and leisure when everyone had one eye on the future (a better future, of course), and the other on exotic vacation destinations in far-away lands (at least the way they'd seen in the movies).

The Caribbean rolled both of those fascinations into one with a motel that sported ultra-modern architectural elements like a futuristic "levitating" ramp, canted glass walls, and recessed "spaceship" lights along with "exotic" tropical landscaping and theming including the very first plastic palm trees to be "planted" in the Wildwoods, giving vacationers the feeling of being in a far-away tropical paradise while only a short drive from home on the Jersey Shore.

Today, the fully restored, renovated and re-invented Caribbean Motel stands as a living monument to this magical era in our nation's history - a taste of pure Americana, you might say, with a 21st-century tropical twist! Modern amenities like flat-screen TVs and free wireless internet combine with classically restored and reproduced mid-century furnishings and ambiance to create one of the most unique vacation experiences at the shore!

I just need to find someone to take with me.

I used to go on road trips all of the time. My friends and I would go through the Roadside America book to find fun/weird places to check out. When I travel for work, I try to do the same. Pennsylvania is full of fun things like that. Virginia was not.

I also found this link: http://retroroadmap.com/ The woman that writes the blog lives in PA and has featured many places here. I'm using her site as well as Roadside America to plot out my trip to the Caribbean. I'm trying to decide when I should go and who I should invite. Two of my friends have just started new jobs and they probably can't take a few days off just yet.

Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment