Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Job Perk!

Part of the reason I'm stuck down here is I'm helping this office set up some new clients. We share resources and send people back and forth, depending on who needs what.

Today a co-worker and I were given a mission. We must go to Raleigh and meet with a client, get some budgets signed and go to a hockey game. Ordinarily, we have limited contact with clients. We may explain certain things to them, but the Account Executive (AE) is the middle man. They translate our advertising speak to something they can understand.

Our contact with this client is a HUGE hockey fan. They have a box at the arena and he keeps inviting the AE to games. Going to any sports even is the AE's idea of Hell, so to make this guy happy, she decided that we should go. We know the game and can get along with almost anyone. As an added bonus, the Penguins are the visiting team!!! I asked the AE if she could find out if he'd be offended if I wore my Penguins shirt. I really don't want to have to get down there early so we can buy Hurricanes shirts. I would feel dirty and consider myself a traitor. A few hours later, she told me it would be OK, he's not really a Hurricanes fan, just a huge hockey fan.

We're excited! For once we get to do something fun! I have two Penguins shirts, so I tell my friend she can borrow the other one. We start talking about how much fun we'll have...free game, great seats, free food, possibility of meeting Mario Lemieux...

Then it hits me...I have a doctor appointment in Pittsburgh on Friday afternoon. I was going to drive back Thursday night after work. As it is, I can barely make the 7 hour drive. I know I can't drive 2 or 3 hours to Raleigh, then back, then go home. I HAVE to go to the doctor. I need refills. I'm on pretty heavy duty pain medication and they can't just call them in or fax the prescription to me. I can't even send a family member in for the refill.

I'm not excited anymore. I have to figure out how to do both. We can't just wait on the budget signatures and since the client is so new, it's better to have someone go down in person to make sure they understand everything. I also really want to go to the game and sit in the comfy chairs for free.

I go to the AE and tell her my problem. She starts laughing. Silly, simple me. I thought we'd be driving down. No, we're flying and it's not a problem to book my return flight to Pittsburgh instead and they'll fly me back since my car will be here.

I feel like it's a waste of money, but I don't spend as much as the others do while on business trips. I don't max out my food allowance every day or fudge my billing hours.

For once something has worked out in my favor! The plane is going to be hell for me, but it's better than driving that much. The friend I'm going with is letting me keep my car at her house. She's a work friend, but we get along well and it will be a bonding experience.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this goes off without a hitch. Now I just have to hope I can keep my pain under control. Planes kill me and I get tired easily, but I will get through this. I'll have a friend with me and that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment